RE: [xsl] Global parameters with UTF-8 characters and ???s <Disregard Previous>

Subject: RE: [xsl] Global parameters with UTF-8 characters and ???s <Disregard Previous>
From: "Waters, Michael, Springer US" <Mike.Waters@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 12:06:06 -0400
>Actually, I no longer trust a hex editor. UltraEdit in hex mode doesn't
>display the bytes that it found on the disk, it displays the result of
>decoding those bytes and translating into UTF-16.

PSPad, a nice, small freeware editor, has a feature that allows you open a
file directly in its Hex Editor, bypassing any transcoding of the file. This
allows you to truly see the "bytes on disk". By default, if you open a file
and switch to its "Hex Edit Mode", you get the same thing as UltraEdit, i.e.,
a hexadecimal view of the file transcoded to UTF-16 in the editing buffer. I
regularly use its Hex Editor feature to "debug" misencoded XML and in checking
XSLT output. Highly recommended, just for that feature alone.