RE: [xsl] xslt performance issue position() function used in predicate very slow

Subject: RE: [xsl] xslt performance issue position() function used in predicate very slow
From: "Michael Kay" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 13:08:21 +0100
Firstly, the fact that ./v[$p] doesn't work, but ./v[$p + 0] does work,
means that the value of $p is not a number. Perhaps it is a string, or
perhaps it is a result tree fragment. Either way, you would probably get an
immediate performance improvement by changing it to be a number, to avoid
the conversion costs each time the value is used.

Incidentally, the expression "./v" is exactly the same as "v". If your
processor is particularly stupid, the more complex expression might take
longer to evaluate.

It's of course entirely dependent on your XSLT processor whether the
expression v[$p] takes constant time, or time proportional to $p. It looks
as if in your case, it's taking time proportional to $p. That would be the
case if you were using Saxon. In Saxon you could get round this by using a
variable:

<xsl:variable name="vseq" select="v"/>
<xsl:for-each....
  <xsl:value-of  select="$vseq[$p]"

But that wouldn't necessarily help on a different processor. Note also that
this only works if $p is known at compile time to be a number - so you need
to fix that problem first.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/