[xsl] Filtering child text nodes by node name

Subject: [xsl] Filtering child text nodes by node name
From: "Anderson, Paul" <Paul.Anderson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 13:02:29 -0500
Greetings All,

I am processing the following sample source:

  <indexterm>
    <primary>In title</primary>
    <secondary>first</secondary>
  </indexterm>
  <indexterm>
    <primary>In title</primary>
    <secondary>second</secondary>
  </indexterm>
</title>

I already have scripting in place to process the <indexterm> elements
inside the <title> and move them to another location in the output. The
problem is that I need to output a title that ignores the child elements
but retains their content but _not_ if the child element is an
indexterm. The output I need is:

<topic-title>Configuring the process command</topic-title>

Naturally, I started with something like the following:

<xsl:template match="title>
   <xsl:element name="topic-title">
	<xsl:value-of select="."/
   </xsl:element>
</xsl:template>

Which generated the output:
<topic-title>Configuring the process commandIn titlefirstIn
titlesecond</topic-title>

I've been playing around with various predicates on text nodes but they
don't provide the desired output. For example:

<xsl:template match="title>
   <xsl:element name="topic-title">
	<xsl:value-of select="./text()[not(ancestor::indexterm)]"/
   </xsl:element>
</xsl:template>

Generates the following output:
<topic-title>Configuring the </topic-title>

Any assistance is appreciated.

Best regards,

Paul Anderson
Compuware Corporation