Re: [xsl] Schema-aware validation of XHTML result-document

Subject: Re: [xsl] Schema-aware validation of XHTML result-document
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 14:02:17 GMT
> but we still need to find out why XHTML result-document validation in XSLT
> could not work as it works when we normally validate a file on our
> hard disk: Nothing is added to that file.

because if you validate a file in that manner then you most likely do
something equivalent to what I suggested you do with XSL, that is
validate the the document, react to any reported errors  but never
actually materialise the PSVI, and instead just keep the original
document.

It's the same with dtd validation, if you just take validation as a
binary yes/no answer that never changes your source document your source
document doesn't change but if you take an xhtml file and go

rxp -sxV file.xhtml > validated.xhtml

or the equivalent with any other validating XML parser, then you will
find that  validated.xhtml has colspan="l"  and shape="rect" all over
the place.

Validation using either schema or DTD _does_ add things to the document
it's only true that "nothing is added to the file" if you subsequently
use the input to validation, not the output.

David