Re: [xsl] fo:marker weirdness?

Subject: Re: [xsl] fo:marker weirdness?
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 19:27:47 +0000
At 2007-03-10 10:15 -0800, Manzell Blakeley wrote:
I am having some trouble with markers - hopefully someone out there can help. I'll throw in that I've not used markers before, so there is perhaps a gap in understanding.

I think you are missing the concept of the "qualifying areas". A marker is placed as the first child of a block, and all of the descendants of that block are the qualifying areas considered for the placement of the marker.

Second, you may be missing the retrieve boundary concept: the processor works its way backwards from the formatting point looking for markers, either back to the start of the page, back to the start of the page sequence (default), or back to the start of the document.

As you can see, the marker rests outside of the table and doesn't have any contents other than the name of the automaker - it doesn't envelop the following table.

There should be a block that surrounds the marker and the table.

So, what's occuring is that in same cases, the marker (in the header) is appearing many pages before the appropriate caption appears in the flow.

"Many" pages? That doesn't sound right at all. Check the issues I mention above and the next time you post please mention which software you are running. Perhaps the tool you are using is known not to work well in this regard.

I hope this helps.

Male Cancer Awareness Aug'05  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/s/bc