Re: [xsl] Performance issue XSL:FO

Subject: Re: [xsl] Performance issue XSL:FO
From: Abel Braaksma <abel.online@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 13:38:24 +0100
Thomas Yip wrote:
I'm generating a PDF on the fly from my servlet. I use transformer to
do XSL:FO translation:

4> transformer.transform(src, res);

However line#4 seems to be taking a lot of time to execute (around 40
seconds).
- Can anybody tell me why it takes so much longer from my servlet?
- Is there a way to improve the performance when run it from my
servlet?

Hi Thomas,

You appear to have a question about Apache FOP performance, I think your best bet is on the Apache FOP mailing list (it is quite an active list). You state that line nr 4 "seems to be taking a lot of time", which is rather vague. Please add timing logs and make sure it really takes so much time, or whether it is something else in your code.

In general, it should not matter in the least to run it from a servlet or from the commandline, apart from the fact that memory management (and amount available to the JVM) may be different and memory swapping may add much to the running time. I have a system that dynamically creates PDFs from a servlet and it takes, on average, less time than on the commandline (which is a result of caching the objects, of course).

Cheers,
-- Abel Braaksma