[xsl] Lookup tables

Subject: [xsl] Lookup tables
From: Kamal Bhatt <kbhatt@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 12:09:22 +1100
Hi
My company is designing XML specifically for XSLT processing. A question that has come up is the use of lookup tables. We have a lot of repeated data, and our system architect would like that data put in a "lookup table" at the top of the XML. By lookup table I mean XML with some key that can be identified. The only way I can think of processing this XML in XSLT 1.0 (without a lot of '..') is to use something like

ancestor::node()//LookUp/Parameter[@key = 'key_to_lookup'].

First question, is there another way of doing this, secondly, in XSLT parsers, particular those that use SAX, is there a major performance hit in using this method over having the data repeated.

Personally, I would prefer avoiding ancestor::node() and I would definitely like to avoid //.

Cheers.

--
Kamal Bhatt