[xsl] string-replace AND apply-templates

Subject: [xsl] string-replace AND apply-templates
From: Florian Grammel <grammel@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 11:46:25 +0100
I don't have much experience with xsl, so there's a good chance that this question is trivial, but I'm just not getting it:

In TEI-ish xml we use <unclear> to tag insecure readings.
The tradition for printed editions says, that every unclear letter is rendered with a dot below.

Using XSLT 2 I can use RegEx to do this:

<xsl:template match="tei:unclear">
select="replace(., &quot;()&quot;,&quot; $1&combdotbl;&quot;)"/>

This works fine, but results in, that all possible markup inside the <unclear>-tags is lost. I guess it would be a solution to call this little template inside every other processing instruction, but as <unclear> is allowed on virtually every level of the xml, this is going to be a mess...

So I'm looking for a way to do the search-replace and get the code inside processed by the rest of the stylesheet nevertheless.
A sort of replace-instruction, that leaves tagging untouched and passes the result on to <xsl:apply-templates/>

Thanks in advance for your help!

Florian Grammel.