RE: [xsl] What's your visual metaphor for XSL Transformations?

Subject: RE: [xsl] What's your visual metaphor for XSL Transformations?
From: "W Charlton" <XSLList@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 08:47:30 -0000
Kamal wrote

Snip--
"this is what I think of when I think of recursion". In the past I would
often draw circles in the air when I was trying to deal with a recursive
problem, which reminds me of Ouroboros.
Snip--

I see your point. Ouroboros is more easily applied to politicians; they just
don't know when to stop! Stopping in recursive templates is essential.

Continuing on my ant/aphid analogy.

I see recursion as the task one ant has to milk all the aphids.

<xsl:for-each select="Branch">
	<xsl:call-template name="MilkAphid">
		<xsl:with-param name="pUnmilkedAphid"
select="count(Aphid/AphidMilk)"/>
	</xsl:call-template>
</xsl:for-each>
<xsl:template name="MilkAphid">
	<xsl:param name="pUnmilkedAphids"/>
	<xsl:choose>
		<xsl:when test="not(pUnmilkedAphids) or $pUnmilkedAphids =
'' "/>
		<xsl:when test="$pUnmilkedAphids &gt; 0">
			<xsl:value-of select="Aphid/AphidMilk"/>
			<xsl:call-template name="MilkAphid">
				<xsl:with-param name="pUnmilkedAphid"
select="$pUnmilkedAphids - 1"/>
			</xsl:call-template>
		</xsl:when>
		<xsl:otherwise/>
	</xsl:choose>
</xsl:template>

Sooner or later analogies break down, but it IS Friday:)

William Charlton
The yMonda team
yMonda Limited
w: www.ymonda.net