Re: [xsl] XML parser accesses Internet, why?

Subject: Re: [xsl] XML parser accesses Internet, why?
From: "Rashmi Rubdi" <rashmi.sub@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 12:32:34 -0400
On 5/5/07, Michael Kay <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Why would the Java XML parser under Saxon8.7.1J need to > access the internet? > > Error on line 3 column 62 of file:/C:/aa-xml/hltapi/MLD.ori.html: > SXXP0003: Error reported by XML parser: Cannot read from > http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd > (www.w3.org) >

If your XML document references a DTD then the XML parser in general will
need a copy of the DTD. Unless it's clever and can find a cached copy, it
will follow the URI reference and fetch it.

(This is nothing to do with XSLT or Saxon, by the way)

I agree, my plain text editor jEdit also sometimes shows a message to connect to the Internet to download a DTD. There may be other editors or IDEs with the same functionality. I wouldn't be paranoid about it :-)

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/

Regards -Rashmi