Re: [xsl] eliminating duplicates

Subject: Re: [xsl] eliminating duplicates
From: George Cristian Bina <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 06:36:27 +0300
Here it is another 2.0 approach that gives the result in one instruction :) assumming the edge elements are children of the current context node:

<xsl:copy-of select="
 for $i in
     distinct-values(*/concat(@dependency, @source, @target))
           return *[$i=concat(@dependency, @source, @target)][1]"/>

If you define a key using concat(@dependency, @source, @target) and matching edge elements

<xsl:key name="e" match="edge"
	use="concat(@dependency, @source, @target)"/>

then the return will be

return key('e',$i)[1]"/>

Best Regards,
George
George Cristian Bina
http://www.oxygenxml.com

Abel Braaksma wrote:
Something like this:

<xsl:for-each-group select="$input/edge" group-by="concat(@source, '-', @target, '-', @dependency)">
<xsl:copy-of select="." />
</xsl:for-each-group>

where $input is contains your 'edge' nodes?

cheers,
-- Abel

Garvin Riensche wrote:
Hello,

I am wondering what's the best way of getting rid of duplicate nodes which contain more than one attribute. Suppose I have den following xml:

How do I get rid of one
<edge source="IGetter" target="CGetter" dependency="positive"/>
and one
<edge source="ICount" target="CCount" dependency="positive"/>
which appear twice?

If there was only one attribute, lets say "source" it would be simple:

<xsl:for-each select="//edge[not(./@source=preceding-sibling::edge/@source)]">
<xsl:copy-of select="."/>
</xsl:for-each>

So I thought with more attributes this would work:
<xsl:for-each select="//edge[not(./@source=preceding-sibling::edge/@source
and ./@target=preceding-sibling::edge/@target
and ./@dependency=preceding-sibling::edge/@dependency
)]">
</xsl:for-each>

But of course it doesen't because in one iterartion the "preceding-siblings" doesn't point to the same element.

So, any help would be appreciated on how to get rid of duplicates.

Regards,
Garvin