Re: [xsl] Return system's date and time

Subject: Re: [xsl] Return system's date and time
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 15:16:57 +0100
> I think, because XPath functions are primarily used to manipulate
> entities in the XPath data model. format-date() function seems correct
> to be an XSLT function..

I don't see it as different to format-number really. Not putting it in
xpath meant that it didn't go into xquery which meant a few weeks after
Xquery the WGs are in the strange position of publishing a requirements
document for xquery 1.1 that says:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xquery-11-requirements/

    XQuery 1.1 MUST include additional library functions or an
    equivalent mechanism to perform formatting of date and time values.

    It SHOULD be similar to the functionality provided in XSLT 2.0, such
    as by functions format-date(), format-time(), format-dateTime().

If they meet that requirement by doing anything other than adding
format-* to the F+O spec shared by XPath and Xquery, and taking it out
if XSLT, they need their heads banging tgether:-)

David