Re: [xsl] XSLT and XML in the same document

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLT and XML in the same document
From: "M. David Peterson" <m.david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 08:45:25 -0600
On Mon, 28 May 2007 05:11:06 -0600, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@xxxxxx> wrote:

Microsoft: please give us exslt:node-set in IE. Please.

An interesting point in time to be asking MSFT for "favors." via a comment from Mike Champion (formerly of MSFT XML Team, now a part of the WS-* team; He's the one that lobbied for and obtained support for XSLT 2.0, so it's fair to assume that his advice on how to get MSFT's attention in this space is quite sound)

@http://www.oreillynet.com/xml/blog/2007/05/xml_silverlight_and.html#comment-590145

"I think Aaron is asking about what *subset* of the .NET XML features should be ported to the Silverlight environment :-)

But to get their attention for whatever subset or superset features you think is appropriate, it would be best to be more explicit about the types of applications you would build for the Silverlight platform and why some specific XML feature would be necessary to make it work well."

My own wish-list is in the body of the same linked post from above, and while full support for XSLT 2.0 inside of Silverlight would be *GREAT*, I don't think it's something we should get our hopes up too high about, as small and fast is of primary concern. Instead, I believe that if the community were to put their heads together and come up with a reasoanable subset of EXSLT functions (potentially using the support provided by Fx 3.0 as a foundation to begin working from?), we could probably get the right folks attention at MSFT to at very least consider providing support.

In the mean time, something to consider: The Mono project provides an implementation of System.Xml.Xsl licensed under the MIT license. The MSFT XML MVP's have support for EXSLT inside of their BSD-licensed Mvp.Xml library. Silverlight provides support for XmlReader and XmlWriter, and Silverlight itself is a full fledged CLR, or in other words, their is full support for CIL, which means their is full support for the C#, VB.NET, and any other CLR compliant language (F# is the latest entry I have seen in the "hey, look what Silverlight can do" language support-fest.) And to put the cherry on top of all of this, Silverlight is supported on not just IE, but on Firefox (Windows, Mac) and (soon) Opera (Windows, Mac), with the Mono project folks developing support as part of their Moonlight project[1] which is suggested will be complete by the end of this year.

In short: An opportunity now exists to both get MSFT's attention and have a reasonable chance of gaining at least some level of support for EXSLT inside of Silverlight and as such have that same support provided cross-browser/cross-platform, as well as taking the bull by the horns and building that support by using existing code that already provides *FULL* support for XSLT 1.0/EXSLT, or in other words, developing support ourselves that could then be used inside of any Silverlight-based project would be pretty straight forward. Gaining direct support would obviously be quite a bit better, but creating a community-based project would at very least ensure that support is available, while at the same time act as a good way to flesh out what portions of the EXSLT spec make sense inside of the browser space and which of those do not.

I've started a project on CodePlex called SilverLiteXSLT (http://www.codeplex.com/silverlitexslt < Haven't published it yet, so you probably won't see anything if you visit this link.) Please contact me off-list if you have interest in being a part of this.

NOTE: The Atomictalk project is specifically focused at providing the ability to build out cross-breed web applications, using pre-defined modules in XHTML, Silverlight, Flash, etc... so I will be using this is as the foundation for SilverLiteXSLT in regards to finding the most practical feature-set using a hands-on, pragramatic approach. Will be OOF for the rest of the morning, but when I come back I plan to spend some time finishing out getting this project setup and the code from the various projects checked-in to begin the "mashup" process. < This is going to be fun! :D Anyone want to join me? Let me know :)

[1] http://mono-project.com/Moonlight

--
/M:D

M. David Peterson