Re: [xsl] xsl:element will not create an output element, in any context

Subject: Re: [xsl] xsl:element will not create an output element, in any context
From: "N David Brown" <orieldave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 14:03:28 +0100
Ok, thank you; I'll give that a shot and get back to you.

- Dave

On 5/31/07, Abel Braaksma (online) <abel.online@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Something puzzles me about this thread. The OP says that (s)he has
an XSLT that does not output XML. To enforce that statement (s)he
runs the stylesheet in the browser, which effectively removes any
possibility to see an error or problem or even the net result of the
transform. But the OP also has a PHP script that does the
transformation (likely with libxslt).

I'd like to add the request to run the data against the original
stylesheet, where the xslt is processed on the server by php and
libxslt. Then, the OP can do "View Source" in any browser to see
what the output looks like (do NOT rely on the rendered result as
was already clearly mentioned by David). ("View Source" will not
have any effect when you run the stylesheet embedded)

If "View Source" shows a result without elements, remove the
xsl:output instruction of all your included and imported stylesheets
and place <xsl:output method="html" /> in your principal stylesheet.

Trying to run the same stylesheet using <?xml-stylesheet ?> will
result in another processor doing the job and the impossibility to
view the net results of the transform.

-- Abel

PS: the best advice was already given and I second that: run your
stylesheet from some XSLT test environment or from the commandline
with your libxslt.