[xsl] What's wrong with a variable inside a xsl:when ?

Subject: [xsl] What's wrong with a variable inside a xsl:when ?
From: Norman Rosner <jeckyll@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 15:08:38 +0200
Hi Folks,

i have a problem with defining a variable inside a when element.

If i write it this way, so that the variable is outside everything is fine with saxon.

  <xsl:function name="mt:check_the_next">
    <xsl:param name="kind"/>
    <xsl:param name="lemma"/>

<xsl:variable name="translation_adja" select="mt:lexicon_adjectives('texanisch')"/>

    <xsl:choose>
      <xsl:when test="$kind = 'ADJA'">
	.
	.
	.

</xsl:function>

But if i write it this way,

  <xsl:function name="mt:check_the_next">
    <xsl:param name="kind"/>
    <xsl:param name="lemma"/>

    <xsl:choose>
      <xsl:when test="$kind = 'ADJA'">

<xsl:variable name="translation_adja" select="mt:lexicon_adjectives('texanisch')"/>
.
.
.

</xsl:function>

so that the variable is inside my when element saxon does nothing.
It just tells me the following:
Warning: at xsl:variable on line 22 of file:/Users/jeckyll/studium/au/ project/norman/norman_neu.xsl:
SXWN9001: A variable with no following sibling instructions has no effect

I don't know what to o because the failure that there are no siblings is not correct i think because the value is choosen.

Pleas help me xsl-List members :) I need that variable inside my when element so i can use a different function then inside another when element.

What am i doing wrong ?

cheers,

norman