Re: [xsl] XSLTPROC performance

Subject: Re: [xsl] XSLTPROC performance
From: "Andrew Welch" <andrew.j.welch@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 15:09:10 +0000
On 21/12/2007, Colin Paul Adams <colin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>     Andrew> On 21/12/2007, Colin Paul Adams <colin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>     >> The cost of the JVM start-up cannot be eliminated, but it can
>     >> be amortised. For a fair comparison, you need to know what this
>     >> overhead is, so you can make sensible judgements.
>
>     Andrew> I don't think it needs to be amortised... If you start the
>     Andrew> timing at the correct point and ignore the first few runs
>     Andrew> then I'd say you can safely forget about JVM startup and
>     Andrew> warm-up for the remaining runs.
>
> Then you've ignored it completely, so you don't get a fair comparison.

aahhh I see what you mean.... (the penny drops :)

I don't agree though - if you are comparing say Gestalt Win32 version
with Saxon running on Windows, then surely it's only really fair to
make the comparison after the Java bytecode has become native machine
code - after JVM startup.

--
Andrew Welch
http://andrewjwelch.com