Re: SGML/XML syntax for DSSSL-Web

Subject: Re: SGML/XML syntax for DSSSL-Web
From: Paul Prescod <papresco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 15:27:08 -0400
Gavin Nicol wrote:

> >- Provide an SGML/XML syntax for the non-programmatic parts of DSSSL.  This
> >  should support calling procedures.  You would also need some very simple
> >  "expressions" within attribute values (ie +2pt, 10%).
>
> Kind of like DynaText stylesheets...
>
> I think I'd prefer going with a functional infix language... I remember
> the pratt parsers weren't too bad, and GUILE also has a C to lisp
> syntax compiler.

I think that there are three separate, but related issues:

#1. What is the syntax of the simple declarative language for
non-programmers. James proposes XML/SGML.

#2. Should there be an expression language? If so, should it be a) fully
programmable or b) limited to things that can be proven to halt
(essentially "macro replacements" with recursive macros disallowed).

#3. If there is an expression language, what should its syntax be?
Traditional DSSSL Lisp-style or something more like Javascript?

One data point to continue is: the W3C has not yet standardized *any*
programming languages. Neither Java nor JavaScript are standardized
under their auspices. If we choose to include a fully programmable
language it will be the first "W3C programming language". I don't know
exactly what that means for this discussion but it seems relevant.

 Paul Prescod