Re: Overlapping, polygonal FOs

Subject: Re: Overlapping, polygonal FOs
From: James Clark <jjc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 May 1997 10:36:22 +0700
At 03:38 21/05/97 +0200, Ingo Macherius wrote:
>reader asked, if a flow object can have a polygonal border (compared to
>rectangular) and if FOs may overlap.

It makes no sense to ask if a flow object is rectangular or can overlap.
You can only ask this about an *area* (the result of formatting a flow object).

Areas in DSSSL at the moment are always rectangular.  It is possible for
them to overlap.  When they do, there's a layer characteristic that controls
which is on top.  The imaging model is the same as PostScript's: marks made
on the presentation medium are not transparent, and the topmost mark is the
one that wins.

James