XS: Guidelines for the discussion

Subject: XS: Guidelines for the discussion
From: bosak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Jon Bosak)
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 14:19:35 -0700
Obviously I can't dictate what this group decides to talk about, so
basically this is just a set of suggestions and an explanation of the
ground rules as far as my own behavior is concerned.

1. As that member of the ISO/IEC JTC1/SC18/WG8 DSSSL Rapporteur Group
(ahem) responsible for the maintenance of the DSSSL Online Application
Profile (which is what XS still is), I remain responsible for making
the final decisions about what happens with the XS draft.  I stop
being the final arbiter of what happens with the draft when it gets
submitted to the W3C in a couple of months, at which point I will not
only lose control of the draft but will probably also have to remove
myself as the editor in order to avoid conflicts with my chairmanship
of the XML group.

2. Bearing in mind that the point of dsssl-o (and hence XS) is to give
implementors something reasonable to aim for, I am going to be guided
by the principle that nothing in DSSSL that is not in Jade is going to
be required by the specification.  If James can't implement it,
there's no point in talking about it.

3. An important implication of this rule is that we can accomplish
some good early work by looking at the things currently supported by
Jade that are not required by the spec and asking of each one whether
it should be.  I would like to suggest this as a place to start.

4. To maintain my sanity (what's left of it), I am going to continue
to read the DSSSList as a Daily Digest subscriber.  This means that I
do not intend to take a very active role in the discussion.  In fact,
I may let several days go by at a time before catching up with it.
But I will read everything said on this subject and I will produce
revised versions of the draft based on what occurs on the list.

5. To keep the XS discussion thread distinct from other topics on
DSSSList, Tony Graham has asked me to request that all messages
pertaining to this subject begin with the string "XS: ".  Please try
to keep your postings short and focused; if the XS discussion begins
to overwhelm the other topics on the list, it will have to be moved to
a list of its own.

Jon