Re: XS: Construction Rule Features

Subject: Re: XS: Construction Rule Features
From: Paul Prescod <papresco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 23:44:58 -0400 (EDT)

> At 21:44 24/05/97 -0400, Paul Prescod wrote:
>
> >You already have to handle consruction rules with the same specifity
> >whether or not you allow attributes to be attached to construction
> >rules
>
> Actually not.  The main motivating factor for designing element construction
> rules to be as simple as they are now is that it makes it impossible to have
> a single element matching two different element construction rules with the
> same specificity. It's also an error to have more than one occurrence of the
> same element construction rule in a single part of a DSSSL specification.

Okay, a question about theory and then one about practice:

Isn't it the "specificity" rule that makes the two rules in error?

Implementors: is recognizing specifity conflicts much harder than recognizing
identical qualified-gis in construction rules? I would have presumed that the
actual machinery would be "calculate the specificity of all matching rules,
look for the highest, and complain if two are the same".

 Paul Prescod