Re: TeX plug-in

Subject: Re: TeX plug-in
From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 16:41:53 -0400
Hi Sebastian,

Sebastian said:
clearly impossible as it stands. techexplorer is simply not that. you
could write a similar plugin to render Jade TeX output (of some kind)
but to give quality superior to your average HTML browser requires
something of real sophisticated. techexploer is NOT sophisticated. It
does a reasonable screen rendering of a fair amount of LaTeX, and
(naturally) deals with math nicely. As preparation for serious
printout, it won't cut it.

Didier says:
It is unfortunate, a teX plug-in able to render the full power of TeX wold
have been a nice feature. That's life. Let's find an other solution. Maybe
my PDF backend (I only have to generate PDF construct to get them rendered
by adobe acrobat).

Sebastian said:
DSSSL not specify how to break lines, make paragraphs, make pages,
place floats etc. you cant get this for free anywhere....

I do wonder where this is going; if you want immediate download
gratification, then whats wrong with HTML as a page description
language, enhanced with SVG in due course? I never saw/see the TeX
output from Jade as being of use for other than high-quality print
versions, assembled at leisure. Maybe I am just behind the times.

Didier says:
I see that way too. But we lack a good TeX plug-in to render page based
format. So, it seems that what's left for on-line page based rendition is
either word (so so page renderer) or acrobat (a good page viewer). but for
most of the time HTML rendering is OK and I am using it. I just found bad
that we cannot do anything better with techExplorer but, that's life. So,
let's find or create a better solution (I am working on it - but
unfortunately with PDF not TeX). My last comment do not imply that I find
PDF inferior to TeX, just that I wanted to get a visual tool for TeX page
rendition in browsers for JadeTeX output. Let's forget it and go on the next
task.

regards
Didier PH Martin
mailto:martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx