Re: DSSSL engine in LISP? (also Re: html to dsssl)

Subject: Re: DSSSL engine in LISP? (also Re: html to dsssl)
From: Daniel Mahler <dmahler@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 21:54:53 -0500
Didier PH Martin wrote:

> Didier says:
> Good, there is life in the DSSSL world. As a DSSSL user I am happy to see
> that life energy is back among us. As a OpenJade team member, I says, go for
> it Daniel, having some competition is fun and challenging. So, go for it,
> the OpenJade team will have some competition and some challenge. Don't wait
> for an approval from the community. Bring the the community the best you can
> do and let it decide what is the best.

I think you have misunderstood me.
The community interest/approval is not for my benefit.
I am trying to generate the interest,
because of what Alex, SENG's original developer, wrote to me

Alex Milowski wrote:

> Actually, we didn't go out of business.  We were purcharsed by Veo Systems
> which is now Commerce One.  Unfortunately, the DSSSL engine is buried in
> their company and, although not related to their current line of business,
> will probably never surface.  Especially since I no longer work there.
>
> *If* there was significant interest, I might be able to get it out from
> under their sticky fingers and release it as open source.
>
> R. Alexander Milowski                                         alex@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>                Remember: Stressed spelled backwards is desserts.

I have already informed him of my interest
and I believe Brandon has informed him of his.
I do not think that constitutes "significant interest" in Alex's eyes.
So, unless other people are interested,
SENG will remain proprietary and buried,
regardless of what I do.

It is also NOT my intention to compete with OpenJade.
I just have different applications in mind than what Jade was designed
for.
I am more interested
in online EDI and eCommerce applications of DSSSL.
In this context the following points are emphasised:
* query and tranformation facilities over formatting
* easily extensible open architecture
* access to other internet software much of which is written in Java.
* dynamic interactive content
By James Clarke's own messages, these are not the strong points of Jade.
I am also hoping that a JVM DSSSL engine would make it possible
to render documents in existing browsers (using applets, beans or
whatever ...).

I hope that explains why I have been chewing up bandwith on this list.

regards
Daniel