RE: sgml-parse and GC

Subject: RE: sgml-parse and GC
From: Avi Kivity <Avi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 01:01:20 +0300
On Tuesday, July 20, 1999 00:23, Peter Nilsson [SMTP:pnidv96@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
wrote:
> I think the best solution would be to replace the current in memory grove
> implementation with an implementation on disk with mmap'd files. Then all
> groves would be cached and memory management would be passed to the
> OS kernel. This, I think, was proposed several times before.

I believe virtual memory and memory mapped files are the same thing in terms
of performance and OS management level. Allocating memory is similar to
mapping some of the swap space into your virtual memory space, except the OS
is free to choose where to place the data (possibly striping over several
disks).

What you would get is grove persistence over invocations of the style
engine, which may or may not be a win.

---
"The only words which have meaning are the last ones spoken"