Re: processing character entities

Subject: Re: processing character entities
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 10:14:51 +0100 (BST)
> What are the various solutions people on this list use for processing
> character entities in SGML->SGML or SGML->HTML conversions? In my work
> I translate a lot of SGML containing entities for foreign characters,
> math symbols, etc. into HTML.  Some get turned into HTML entities,
> some are dumbed down to ASCII, and others get turned into inline
> graphics.

Can't you just let them go through to the backend as unicode characters
and then just deal with them there? In the tex back end this is easy as
you just need to define \Character{some number} to do whatever you want.
Probably for the other backends the information detailing what to do
with each slot is compiled into the backend, but presumably wouldn't be
too hard to extend to cover the character range that you require.

David