Braifo 0.0.1 available

Subject: Braifo 0.0.1 available
From: Peter Nilsson <pnidv96@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 12:51:00 +0200 (CEST)
I am very happy to announce the availability of Braifo version 0.0.1.
Braifo, the Braille Formatter, is a braille formatter and translator
implementing a subset of the flow object classes defined by the DSSSL
style language.

>From the README file:

This is the first experimental release of Braifo, the braille formatter.
See the file doc/index.html for some information on this software.
Below are some short notes.

As stated above, this is experimental software. It contains a simple
braille translator, which will be completely rewritten in later
versions. It also contains a DSSSL formatter with basic functionality
(see below).

What works?
===========
The formatter has basic support for the following DSSSL flow objects:
- sequence.
- simple-page-sequence: This outputs all its contents on one long page
and headers/footers are not supported. Margins, however, work and the
page-width: characteristic.
- paragraph: Lines are broken to fit in the
display-size. start-indent:, end-indent: and first-line-start-indent:
should work.
- character: The characters are translated to braille using the
braille translator. There is an additional inherited characteristic
called braille-char-table: that determines which braille table to
use. Its value shall be a public identifier for a braille table. When
the braille translator is redone, this will probably change.

There are a lot of problems with the implementation. Known problems in
the code are marked with comments starting with "FIXME".

[...]

This program uses the sp library for SGML parsing and Jade (libstyle)
for DSSSL handling. If you would like to compile Braifo, you should
install Jade, which is available from
http://www.jclark.com/jade/. (libsp is included in the Jade
distribution.)  On some Linux distributions (at least Debian) jade is
available as a binary package. Since Jade is not developed anymore,
you might be interested in OpenJade, which is a direct derivative of
Jade, actively developed by some people of the DSSSL community. The
OpenJade home page is at http://www.netfolder.com/DSSSL/.

[...]

Contacting me
subscribe linux-braille YOUR_FIRST_NAME YOUR_LAST_NAME
where the last two words should be replaced with your first and last
names, respectively.

If you would like to contact me, the author of this software,
directly, you are welcome to do so at pnidv96@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The Braifo home page is at http://user.tninet.se/~kir426p/braifo/.

Regards,
/Peter Nilsson