JADE/DSSSL: What is allowed at the top level?

Subject: JADE/DSSSL: What is allowed at the top level?
From: Arien Malec <amalec@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 1999 14:16:01 -0800
I wanted to store styles in an alist. To do this, I defined a top-level
variable:

(define *style-alist* '())

I then defined a procedure to enter styles into that variable:

(define (add-style style-label the-style) ...

The problem is that I can't use this procedure at the top level. Nor
could I use a "let" at the top level. I suppose this is because the
stylesheet isn't an arbitrary Scheme script with new sorts of special
forms, but is a language of special forms inside of which one can use
Scheme? Correct?

Now, I could move all my definitions of styles into the body of the
define above, but I want to get my conceptual understanding correct.
What is the general model for processing a DSSSL stylesheet? What is
allowed at the top level? Where in the spec can I find additional
information?

BTW: assoc doesn't seem to be defined? I'm using OpenJade 1.3

Thanks,
Arien Malec