[Monthly Archives] [List Home]

[ernie] The Electronic Recruiting News In Email_010220

IBN: Defining Excellence in Electronic Recruiting
Please Click On Our Sponsors
  John Sumser's
  Electronic Recruiting News

interbiznet.com

E R N I E
Electronic Recruiting News In Email

Our Rate Card

S P O N S O R S

Click Here!
Click On Our Sponsors
Click On Our Sponsors

Reach The 25,000 Recruiters and HR Managers Who Read This Newsletter Each Week
Click On Our Sponsors

Click Here!

Find out more
About IBN
Got a news tip?

Got a news tip?
Tell us at
news@
interbiznet.com

Our Rate Card

Articles

Presentations

Trends Reports

Archives

Resume
Databases

(Over 60)

Company Job Listings
(Over 4000)

Email to IBN

Suggestions?

It is better
to not be on
the web than
to be on and
not know why

John Sumser

Reality
is more
complex
than
it seems.
John Gall

It's better to
do a few things
really well than
than to do
a lot of things
badly.
If you can't
make the necessary
commitments of
time and energy
to your
electronic
marketing
efforts
scale back
your plan.
John Sumser

All material in this
email is the
property of IBN
(The Internet
Business Network:
interbiznet.com)
You may download
a copy for personal
use. Redistribution
without permission
is strictly
prohibited.
All material in
this email is
© 1995 - 2000 by IBN

Go Home
OUR HOME

The Electronic Recruiting News is a Free Daily Newsletter For Recruiters, HR Managers, Advertising Agencies and Clasified Advertising Operations

To subscribe or unsubscribe from ERNIE, please use the form on the linked page.

The Torture Of Carrie Baggy

(February 20, 2001) First we nailed her feet to the office floor. A variety of thugs took turns beating her with used keyboards. Then we dragged her across a gravel pit on her knees. We took her to the local ant farm where we buried her up to her neck, covered her head with honey and let the big red ants run free. If she survives, we'll move her to the beach, bury her up to her head again and wait for the tide to roll in.

That's how we treat people who let security lapse.

Before we began the slow torture (we're hoping it takes weeks), Carrie Baggs, our faithful correspondent, answered a number of wonderful phone calls from readers who took the time to let us know that we had infected the world with a variation of the "Anna Kournikova" Worm. Not to be confused with an intestinal pest, the "Anna Kournikova" Worm sends mail to everyone in your mailbox causing them to send mail to everyone in theirs. It's currently jamming mail servers around the world.

We got lots of kind and understanding email from concerned readers who told us how to fix the problem and related their stories of trouble with this particular virus. Of course, a few really grumpy calls and letters made it as well.

Carrie forgot three cardinal rules of the Internet:
  1. Never Open An Attachment Unless You Personally Know The Person Who Sent It
  2. Keep Your Copies Of Outlook and Eudora Updated With The Latest Fixes
  3. Keep Your Antiviral Software Updated
The more sympathetic in our audience might want to forgive her. She gets to open a lot of press releases. Many of the morons who send out press releases are too stupid to know not to send them as attachments. Many of the morons who pay them don't check the work of their subordinates.

We are not so forgiving. In a way, we are hoping she survives her experience with the tide. It turns out that we can be terribly creative here at interbiznet. One of the staffers suggested ground glass in mashed potatoes. Another chimed in with the concept of a Castor Oil Slurpee. Ultimately, we decided that she'd have to review 10,000 corporate job boards, finding something clever to say about each, should she survive.

Security problems are changing daily. As most users are starting to have fixed IP addresses (DSL, Cable, Ethernet), we are strikingly vulnerable to a range of hacking and mischief once reserved for the big guys.

Be careful out there

We're sorry for any inconvenience and urge you to be prepared so that you don't look as silly as we do.

To ease your concerns a bit, we expect Carrie back on the job, slightly chastened but cheerful as ever.

  • (No employees were harmed in the writing of this article.)
  • An email with the "Anna Kournikova" Worm will be titled " Here you have, ;o) "

- John Sumser

Workforce has the Recruiting and Staffing information you need.

Search through thousands of archived articles, participate in the forum, print out sample letters and policies and more. All for free.

Come to Workforce today!

Workforce -- HR Trends and Tools for Business Results.

Contacting Us:
Call, fax, write, email. We'd love to talk about your project.

All material on this site is © 1995 - 2000 by IBN: interbiznet.com
(The Internet Business Network), 346 Starling Rd., Mill Valley, CA 94941
415.380.8244
staff@interbiznet.com

To Subscribe or Unsubscribe From the ERNIE...
Enter email:
Enter name:

     FEATURES:

  • Interbiznet Trends (New)