Modes

Subject: Modes
From: David Megginson <dmeggins@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 19:36:31 -0400
Paul Prescod writes:

 > Basically, my understanding was that if a particular mode did not have a
 > construction rule for a particular element, the initial mode's
 > construction rule is used. Here is an example that seems to behave
 > differently:

The following extract from clause 12.4.1 of the spec supports you on
that:

  _construction-rules_ not in any _mode-construction-rule-group_ can
  match nodes both when the processing mode is the initial processing
  mode and when it is a named processing mode.

The following extract from the same clause is also to the point:

  - A _construction-rule_ in a _mode-construction-rule-group_ is more
    specific than any _construction-rule_ not in a
    _mode-construction-rule-group_.

In other words, if you had included a
default-element-construction-rule in your `head-mode'
mode-construction-rule, it would have overridden anything in the
initial mode; you did not do so, however, and (after fixing up your
DSSSL style sheet to include a DOCTYPE declaration and to declare the
`element' flow-object class) I found the same results you did.
Unless I've missed something else in the standard, this is a bug in
Jade.

All the best,

David

--