Re: Heresy? Re: DSSSL WWW Enhancements

Subject: Re: Heresy? Re: DSSSL WWW Enhancements
From: Paul Prescod <papresco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 May 1997 19:05:16 -0400 (EDT)
> > Non-Programmatic DSSSL Profile?
> > ================================
>
> Isn't this DSSSL-O?

Maybe at one time. DSSSL-O now includes lambda and other recursive
features according to

http://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/sun-info/standards/dsssl/dssslo/do960816.htm

Maybe some of the participants could discuss that change.

> I think we need more experience before coming up with this one, though.
>
> I didn't understand one comment:
> > Programmatic transformations of arbitrary DSSSL code *is* a PITA.
> Pita is a kind of middle-eastern bread, right???

Pain In The Ass. The "canonical" example is loading an arbitrary DSSSL
stylesheet and presenting a good GUI version of it. On the other hand,
maybe the very act of defining a function (even a non-recursive one)
makes a stylesheet basically impossible to GUI-ize. Removing functions
would make it difficult to do many simple code reuse tricks.

 Paul Prescod