Re: XS: Ports --> math

Subject: Re: XS: Ports --> math
From: Sebastian Rahtz <s.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 14:07:28 +0100 (BST)
 > Not as a required feature.  Although math is extremely important to some
 > people, the proportion of people to whom it is important is quite small,
 > compared to something like tables.

or change bars? how many people need change bars in their browser
compared to the people who need math? some disciplines used change
bars obsessively, others use footnotes nested 50 deep, others do
everything as tables; others use math every day.

i have a worry that math is deprecated because its regarded as `hard',
but things like sidelines are added because they are not much trouble.

 > In a way it might make more sense for the people doing MathML to handle the
 > extensions to XS needed for math, rather than to have it in the core XS
 > language.

my view is that if math objects are not mentioned in XS, it kills
stone dead the chance that M'soft or N'scape will support math, and
puts back the day we can do full scientific publishing on the Web by
another 3 or 4 years. you might equally argue that the inclusion of
what is regarded as esoterica will kill XS :-}

Sebastian