Re: XS: Add element-with-id or map-constructor as non-core query procedure

Subject: Re: XS: Add element-with-id or map-constructor as non-core query procedure
From: James Clark <jjc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 11:10:57 +0700
At 14:29 23/05/97 -0400, Paul Prescod wrote:
>Tony Graham wrote:
>>
>> As I understand it, the two possible ways to support a linking element
>> such as the HTML <A> element that has content and the content is (one
>> end of) the link to the referenced element is using either
>> element-with-id (10.2.5) or map-constructor (12.4.3).
>>
>> I would prefer inclusion of element-with-id since it is simpler to use
>> and not open-ended like what you could do with map-constructor.
>
>I would like to suggest a more radical change: links should be to named
>flow objects and not to nodes. One element can be mapped to 0 or more
>flow objects, so linking to the "primary flow object" is not always what
>you want.

That's an argument in favour of allowing links to be to named flow objects,
which can easily added: eg add an address flow object and
flow-object-address procedure.  It's not an argument in favour of
disallowing links to nodes, which would require style-sheets to continually
invent names for flow objects, and wouldn't work for links outside the
current flow object tree.  Not to mention the serious backward compatibility
problems that would cause.

James