Re: [DSSSL] TeX's streching space (or rubber length) ?

Subject: Re: [DSSSL] TeX's streching space (or rubber length) ?
From: kubek <kubek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 1997 18:43:37 +0200

   >> |Some text left justified<--------->Some text right justified| |
   >>                            ^^^^ blank space of variable length |

    Paul> Is this the same as a "leader flow object"?

Not exactly, from my poor English knowledge, I uderstand a leader is
made from dots ('.' chars). What I want here is white space, (or an
empty box).

    >> If there is no simple construct for that, i think the same
    >> effect may be given by defining a dsssl function. This function
    >> should create an empty space of length "(display-size) -
    >> (length<<left text>> + length<<right text>>). But I'm afraid I
    >> will go into trouble with ports here, any exemple of such a
    >> function ?

    Paul> The hard part of this function is figuring out the size of a
    Paul> bunch of text -- that isn't possible in Jade. In Jade I can
    Paul> output a document that depends on a font on a machine where
    Paul> that font isn't even installed.

.. But you need this font to see (or print) the document, no ?
As I understand your sentence, this is the same for TeX : Tex allows
to express the length of a text (or a box) but is unable to output a
dvi file if the fonts are not installed. *But* in TeX I'm able to take
my file and go to another machine where the fonts are. I thought the
same was possible with jade ? If not I miss something here and will
have to dig more deeply in the DSSSL document :-(

    Paul> So predicting the length of text in that font is impossible.

    Paul>  Paul Prescod

Thanks for your help

    Paul>  DSSSList info and archive:
    Paul> http://www.mulberrytech.com/dsssl/dssslist