Re: DD: Re copyright

Subject: Re: DD: Re copyright
From: Tony Graham <tgraham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 05:31:05 -0400 (EDT)
At 16 Jun 1997 09:14 +0000, David Pawson wrote:
 > Try this for an inclusion.
 >
 > Publisher. DSSSL Documentation Group
 > Address: c/o Mulberry.com
 > (Address please Tony)

Since there is no entity for the documentation project, I doubt we can
just use that name.

 > Copyright. Yuri Rubinsky Insight Foundation. 1997

I think we, me included, have muddied the waters over copyright.
We've lumped together having the copyright and getting some
hypothetical monetary benefit from the work.  If YRIF has the
copyright of the work in progress, then we probably need a release
from YRIF giving us permission to tinker with their property.  If we
(probably the authors or editors of large chunks) keep the copyright
(i.e. not assign them to YRIF) then we can still let YRIF use the
material or just receive the proceeds should the hypothetical
situation stop being hypothetical.

 > All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be
 > reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted
 > in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical,
 > photocopying, recording or otherwise, without the
 > prior permission of the copyright owner.
 >
 > <Author> have asserted their moral right to be identified
 > as the authors of this work.

It appears "moral right" doesn't count for anything in the US, but
this statement does have effect elsewhere.

 > The more lax version:
 >
 > This document is to be distributed on a non-commercial
 > and non-profit making basis only by the DSSSL
 > documentation group.

Again, there is no such legal entity.

Regards,

Tony Graham