Re: DD: Modularity guidelines

Subject: Re: DD: Modularity guidelines
From: christo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Frank Christoph)
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 19:15:48 +0900
> This seems to assume we're doing a one-size-fits-all document.  For
> example, it's a bit hard for a tutorial to assume "complete knowledge
> of the standard at a beginner's level", and it may be hard to do a
> good description of colour spaces at a beginner's level.

BTW, I don't think color spaces are a beginner's topic.  My idea of "beginner"
is something like, a person who can read syntax productions, write a one-part
DSSSL spec, use simple characteristics like quadding and indentation, inline
and display spaces, paragraphs, sequences for controlling font characteristics
and simple page sequences.  Or, to put it another way, I think that this
list of topics, or something like it, all belong in the beginner's "level".
The intermediate level would include things like modes and styles and maybe
simple columns and page models.  The advanced level would include color spaces,
font information, generated text, synchronization, complex page layout,
complex columns, the associated issues of layout order and spanning, and
undoubtedly other things which I still don't understand.

Sorry for the two posts in a row.

 -- FC