Re: DD: Quick Reference card?

Subject: Re: DD: Quick Reference card?
From: "W. Eliot Kimber" <eliot@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 09:02:20 -0500
At 12:45 PM 6/14/97 -0400, Tony Graham wrote:
>I hate to say it, but we don't need to produce a first version using
>SGML anyway.  SGML would be good for producing multiple sorts of
>output, and if multiple people contribute different stylesheets then
>the quick reference card would make a good potted example of using
>DSSSL, but we can still prototype the document in Word or similar.

Given that I never print anything I don't have to, it better be in SGML.

But let me ask this question:  why would you ever consider creating
something as structured as a quick reference and not use SGML?  If there is
any kind of technical information for which SGML is necessary, it's
reference information. I'm frankly stunned by the above statement.

You've already got the syntax productions and explanatory text in SGML, why
throw that away?

Cheers,

E.