Re: On side effects

Subject: Re: On side effects
From: Paul Prescod <papresco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 12:04:37 -0400 (EDT)
> 	From what I understand of inherited characteristics, their value
>   depends on the flow-parent of a sosofo.  So, is it still true that in
>   a DSSSL based interactive application, one could jump to the bottom of
>   a 10MB file without waiting for _some_ processing of the first 9.9MB?

You must process parents. In the grove model this is very cheap, because
you are supposed to have "parent pointers" hanging around. Even if there
were no inheritance of characteristics you would have to *parse* the entire
file preceding the element you want to display because of inclusions,
exclusions, etc.

 Paul Prescod