collation

Subject: collation
From: kendall shaw <kshaw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 17:16:10 -0700
Hello,

I'm reading through the standard and I'm stuck. I don't understand
the section on collation on pg. 65. I picture something like this:

(collate
 (element ae "ae") ;; [101] says I can't have both symbol specs and
 (element ff "ff") ;; multi-collating-element specs
 (order (forward)
        ((ae 4 5 6 (7 8 9)) ;; [110] says I can have multiple
		 (ff 1))))          ;; level-weights

or

(collate
 (symbol heavy)
 (symbol light)
 (order (backward)
		heavy
        light
        ((#\a heavy light))
        #\g
        ((#\q light heavy))))

or maybe

(collate
 (element ae "ae")
 (element ff "ff")
 (order (position)
        aa
        ff))

The last one seems possible.

I would expect to be associating a character or multi-character
sequence with a weight, but I can't see how that should be
accomplished, since there are so many ways not to associate a weight
with a collating-element.

What is a level-sort-rule for? I can't imagine a situation in which
a comparison that is successful forward would not be successful backward.

Why can a collation entry associate multiple weights with a
collation-element? Why does it have nested parens?

Need I say more:

"When a collation-entry is a weight-identifier, then the effect of
the collation-entry is to associate the weight-identifier with the weight
with which the collation-entry is associated." (pg. 67)

kendall shaw