DD: Overall goals

Subject: DD: Overall goals
From: Tony Graham <tgraham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 1997 22:46:47 -0400 (EDT)
The following is my first attempt at the goals of the documentation
project.  It does not say what we're going to write (but my next mail
will be the goals of "The DSSSL Handbook"), yet it is pretty good at
saying what we're not going to do.  As always, comments are welcome.

Regards,

Tony Graham
Tony Graham, Consultant
Mulberry Technologies, Inc.                         Phone: 301-231-6931
6010 Executive Blvd., Suite 608                     Fax:   301-231-6935
Rockville, MD USA 20852                 email: tgraham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

DSSSL DOCUMENTATION PROJECT

The DSSSL documentation project is a collaborative effort by DSSSL
users to write and disseminate documentation on all aspects of DSSSL
for the purposes of:

 - introducing DSSSL to new users

 - education for both new and experienced users

 - assistance for people using DSSSL

The project draws on the combined experience of present users of
DSSSL, principally those subscribed to the DSSSList mailing list
(which also hosts the discussion between project participants).

GOALS

The goals of the project are:

 - To promote and encourage the use of DSSSL by providing to the public
   cost-free explanatory and reference material above and beyond that
   contained in the standard

 - To provide a framework within which many people can contribute as
   they are able

 - To coordinate the efforts of project participants

 - To make the project's output available to participants and
   non-participants alike

NON-GOALS

The non-goals of the project are:

 - To replace the DSSSL standard

 - To solely target any DSSSL implementation

 - To monopolize the DSSSL documentation field

 - To prescribe what must be documented

 - To expand beyond documentation (and the stylesheets for
   presentation of the documentation)