Another newbie question...

Subject: Another newbie question...
From: Vu Nguyen <vu@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 09:43:15 -0500 (CDT)
  Hi,
    I have another newbie problem that I ran into today... I was trying to
use this function
   (attribute-string string osnl)
   Usually all I did was (attribute-string string) which I believe will
get the string value of the attribute with name equal to "string" of
current node... Now I want to get the string value of a certain element,
how would I do that? Forexample, I have a document like this:
  <MyDiary date="...">
  <Text>
  </Text>
  </MyDiary>

  I want to get the date attribute at any time not just when I process the
MyDiary element... how would I do that and is it possible?? I noticed that
when I tried this:
  (attribute-string "DATE" MyDiary) it would be invalid... Please help..

-Vu Nguyen