Jade/DSSSL: output-driven SGML->SGML translations (entities and preserve-sdata?)

Subject: Jade/DSSSL: output-driven SGML->SGML translations (entities and preserve-sdata?)
From: Robin Stephenson <robin.stephenson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 01 Jul 1998 13:11:34 +0100
I've reduced the problems I've been having with my SGML->SGML
translations down to a simple test case.  I've included a very short
DTD and a document marked up in it.  I've also modified the identity
transformation from <http://www.jclark.com/jade/transform.htm> to
illustrate the problems I'm having.
  The nub of the problem seems to be Jade's mapping of character
entities to Unicode when using the `literal' and `data' functions.
  Hopefully the comments in the transformation will make it clear why
I'm trying to do it this way -- I'd be interested in *your* comments.

The command line I'm using to run the example is as follows:
              jade -d identity.dsl -t sgml identity.sgml

Output from `traditional' implementation:

        <!DOCTYPE doc SYSTEM "identity.dtd"><DOC
        >Some random text in&thinsp;here.  &Eacute;</body
        ></DOC

Output from `output-driven' implementation:

--
 Robin Stephenson
 Store In A Dry Place Below 25°C