Problems with processing a basic DB file

Subject: Problems with processing a basic DB file
From: Paul Gerwe <paul@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 10:38:11 -0400 (EDT)
Greetings,

I have been endeavoring to successfully process a basic docbook file using
the most recent version of jade, jadetex and the rest, downloaded from
ftp.cygnus.com/pub/home/rosalia/docware/RPMS/i386/

namely:
docbook-3.0-5.i386.rpm
jade-1.1_1-3.i386.rpm
jadetex-1.01-0.i386.rpm
psgml-1.0.1-5.i386.rpm
sgml-common-0.0-4.i386.rpm
stylesheets-0.3-2.i386.rpm

I am running on a Red Hat Linux 5.1 system.  The rpms installed
successfully, and I have even unistalled and reinstalled them to verify
that that isn't the problem.  The file I'm trying to process is the
following:

<!DOCTYPE article PUBLIC "-//Davenport//DTD DocBook V3.0//EN"
  [
  <?stylesheet href="/usr/lib/sgml/stylesheets/bosak-db3.dsl"
       type="text/dsssl">
  ]>
<article role="HowTo">
<ArtHeader>
  <title>How to Write HOWTOs Using the DocBook DTD</title>
  <abstract>
    <Para>This document describes and serves as an example of how to write
        HOWTOs using the DocBook DTD.  The intent is to provide a starting
        framework to use as a guide as well as describe some common
structures
        and tags used in similar documents.
    </para>
  </abstract>
</ArtHeader>
<SimpleSect>
  <Title>Copyright Notice</Title>
  <Para>Copyright 1998 by Paul Gerwe.  This document may be distributed
        or modified under the Linux Documentation Project (LDP) Copying
        License.  The LDP License can be found at:
        http://sunsite.unc.edu/LDP/COPYRIGHT.html
  </Para>
</SimpleSect>
<Ackno>For the eventual acknowledgements.</ackno>
</article>

Running the command:

jade -t tex test.sgml > test.tex

results in a Segmentation Fault (core dumped) error.  If I try and use
db2ps directly it drops me into LaTeX and is an empty file that complains
that it doesn't have a file beginning.

I've validated the document using the sgmltools extensions to emacs and
have reviewed the DTD to make sure I have all necessary elements.  When I
try and process the file with the embedded stylesheet reference removed,
and the dbtohtml stylesheet instead, the resulting .html file stops after
the abstract, though attempts to process a ToC.

For those interested in seeing the attempts I've made, I've attached a
script of the session, and I'm also attaching a copy of the html output.

TeX and postscript output is what I need.  Anyone have any ideas why
it isn't working? Thanks!

With a sweep of his hat,

Paul

---
Paul Gerwe
Technical Writer				paul@xxxxxxxxxx
Red Hat Software, Inc.				Phone: (919) 547-0012
http://www.redhat.com/				Fax:   (919) 547-0024
Script started on Fri Aug 21 09:40:35 1998
[paul@griffon docbook]$ jade      ls

#howto.sgml#	      docbook-stylesheets/  ref/

DTD/		      dsssl96b.ps	    sgml-tools-1.0.7/

RPMs/		      howto.sgml	    sgmltools-1.1.5/

core		      howto.sgml~	    test.sgml

db2dvi.tex	      howto.stuff	    test.tex

details		      maint/		    user/

docbook-intro.ps      over/

[paul@griffon docbook]$ jade -d /usr/lib/sgml/stylesheets/bosak-db3.dsl -t tex t est.sgml > test.tex

Segmentation fault (core dumped)

[paul@griffon docbook]$ db2ps jad   test.sglm  ml

OUTPUT FILE NAME IS test.dvi

TMPFN is test_db2dvitmp1158

This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (C version 6.1)

(test_db2dvitmp1158.tex

LaTeX2e <1996/12/01> patch level 1

Babel <v3.6h> and hyphenation patterns for american, german, loaded.

)

*H

! LaTeX Error: Missing \begin{document}.

Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

<*> H

? q

OK, entering \batchmodeThis is dvipsk 5.58f Copyright 1986, 1994 Radical Eye Software

dvips: ! DVI file can't be opened.

[paul@griffon docbook]$ ls tes*[1@-[1@l[1@

-rw-rw-r--   1 paul     paul          918 Aug 21 09:35 test.sgml

-rw-rw-r--   1 paul     paul            0 Aug 21 09:41 test.tex

[paul@griffon docbook]$ r jade d -d /h usr/lib/sgml/stylesheets/

[paul@griffon docbook]$ jade -d /usr/lib/sgml/stylesheets/

bosak-db3.dsl    cygnus-both.dsl  dbtohtml.dsl     nwalsh-modular

[paul@griffon docbook]$ jade -d /usr/lib/sgml/stylesheets/dbtohtml.dsl -t sgml h owto.     [paul@griffon docbook]$ jade -d /usr/lib/sgml/stylesheets/dbtohtml.dsl -t sgml h [paul@griffon docbook]$ jade -d /usr/lib/sgml/stylesheets/dbtohtml.dsl -t sgml

[paul@griffon docbook]$ jade -d /usr/lib/sgml/stylesheets/dbtohtml.dsl -t sgml t est.sgml > test.html

[paul@griffon docbook]$ ls -l te*

-rw-rw-r--   1 paul     paul          440 Aug 21 09:43 test.html

-rw-rw-r--   1 paul     paul          918 Aug 21 09:35 test.sgml

-rw-rw-r--   1 paul     paul            0 Aug 21 09:41 test.tex

[paul@griffon docbook]$ more test.html

<CENTER

><H1

>How to Write HOWTOs Using the DocBook DTD</H1

><HR><H2

>Abstract</H2

><DIV

align="left"

><BLOCKQUOTE

><P>This document describes and serves as an example of how to write

	HOWTOs using the DocBook DTD.  The intent is to provide a starting

	framework to use as a guide as well as describe some common structures

	and tags used in similar documents.

    </BLOCKQUOTE

></DIV

></CENTER

><HR

size="5"><H2

[paul@griffon docbook]$ more test.sgml

[...]

--More--(90%)
  </Para>

</SimpleSect>

<Ackno>For the eventual acknowledgements.</ackno>

</article>

[paul@griffon docbook]$ exit

exit

Script done on Fri Aug 21 09:44:16 1998

How to Write HOWTOs Using the DocBook DTD

Abstract

This document describes and serves as an example of how to write HOWTOs using the DocBook DTD. The intent is to provide a starting framework to use as a guide as well as describe some common structures and tags used in similar documents.

Contents