Re: Recognizing "subdocuments"

Subject: Re: Recognizing "subdocuments"
From: "W. Eliot Kimber" <eliot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 1998 11:58:12 -0600
At 04:05 PM 12/5/98 -0600, Brandon Ibach wrote:

>> Examples of auxiliary groves are architectural instance groves, groves
>> constructed by parsing character data into nodes (e.g., data tokenizer
>> groves as defined by the HyTime standard), etc.
>> So no joy there.
>>
>   I guess it depends upon how you define "parse".  If the document
>that you're running sgml-parse on is named in the value of a node in
>the existing grove, then would it not be reasonable to say that the
>SGML Document node in the resulting grove would be the result of a
>"parse" of the node which contained the reference?  Therefore, the
>SGML Document node would contain the "source" property as defined in
>Section 9.5.
>
>-Brandon :)

I think you must be joshing, but just in case you're not: no, it would only
be an auxiliary grove if the thing parsed were the name itself (e.g., I
construct a grove consisting of a list of character data nodes constructed
from a string or token). If the name is used to find some source data
(e.g., another SGML document entity) and then *that* is parsed, the result
cannot be an auxiliary grove.

Cheers,

E.
--
<Address HyTime=bibloc>
W. Eliot Kimber, Senior Consulting SGML Engineer