set!

Subject: set!
From: Stefan Mintert <mintert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 13:06:05 +0100

Hi!

I'm looking for a way to *change* the value of a variable. Some years ago I
learned Scheme based on the book "Structure and interpretation of computer
programs" by Abelson/Sussman/Sussman. The Scheme version described in that
book contains a function called set!. Does the expression language of DSSSL
contain such a feature?

On page 30 of the DSSSL spec one can read: "The expression language uses only
the functional, side-effect free subset of Scheme. [...]"

I guess that set! or any equivalent feature was removed because of it's
side-effects. Is that correct?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Bye,

  Stefan.

PS: ...and thanks to the list for each time you helped me before.

  Stefan Mintert
       UniDo:    mintert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
       private:  stefan@xxxxxxxxxxx
       WWW:      http://www.informatik.uni-dortmund.de/~sm/