Re: (Re: Jade and SHORTREFs)

Subject: Re: (Re: Jade and SHORTREFs)
From: Chuck Darney <cdarney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 09:11:26 -0500
> / Chuck Darney <cdarney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> was heard to say:

> | I'm trying to use the &#TAB; to get a horizontal tab, but it doesn't
> | seem to work.
> | way?  I used to be able to use &#TAB; but it ceased working.
>
> One or the other of us is confused.  My understanding (or
> rather, recollection) of shortref mapping is that it's an input
> markup shortcut.  Any shortref characters in your input instance
> are normalized away by the parser.

I was under the impression that I could use a shortref entity just
as I would  any other text entity.  I could place it in the text
block at the position I want and it would be "expanded" or used at
when the text is processed.  I used to be able to do this, but a lot
has changed since then (not the least of which is the use of SUBDOCs!).
The entity must be defined since Jade doesn't fail with an undefined
entity.  It would be useful, but I'm able to work around it for now
(thanks to previous postings about adding spaces).

...Chuck Darney