Re: Help with color

Subject: Re: Help with color
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 1999 21:26:53 -0800
At 99/01/24 13:49 -0500, Didier PH Martin wrote:
>I am searching in the DSSSL spec how to set a background color but couldn't
>find any reference about it. For example, I want to set a paragraph
>background to a certain color how do I do that? I found how to set text
>color but didn't found how to set the background color.

My _guess_ is using an inlined box background's colour ... but either I'm
wrong or one of the RTF-back end or Word won't process the RTF file I
create with the script shown below.  I'm suspecting RTF/Word because if I
go into Word with the end result below and I manually change the shading of
the paragraph with the coloured text, it is coloured between the margins
and not just behind the letters.  If Word did support character-oriented
shading, then I suspect the code below would work.

Can someone try the code below with another back end, please?  I'm curious
now myself, not having had to do this before, and I don't have any other
back ends installed.

Thanks!

.......... Ken

T:\ftemp2>type test.sgm
<!DOCTYPE doc [
<!ELEMENT doc - O ( para | cpara | c2para )+>
<!ELEMENT para - O ( #PCDATA )>
<!ELEMENT cpara - O ( #PCDATA )>
<!ELEMENT c2para - O ( #PCDATA )>
]><doc>
<para>The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.  The quick brown fox
jumped over the lazy dog.  The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.
<cpara>The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.  The quick brown fox
jumped over the lazy dog.  The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.
<para>The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.  The quick brown fox
jumped over the lazy dog.  The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.
<c2para>The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.  The quick brown fox
jumped over the lazy dog.  The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.
<para>The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.  The quick brown fox
jumped over the lazy dog.  The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.

T:\ftemp2>type test.dsl
<!DOCTYPE style-sheet PUBLIC "-//James Clark//DTD DSSSL Style Sheet//EN">

(declare-initial-value font-size 15pt)
(declare-initial-value min-leading 0pt)

(define *rgb-color-space*
  (color-space "ISO/IEC 10179:1996//Color-Space Family::Device RGB"))

;color tables at http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/resources

(define aqua
  (color *rgb-color-space* (/ 0 255) (/ 255 255) (/ 255 255)))

(define crimson
  (color *rgb-color-space* (/ 220 255) (/ 20 255) (/ 54 255)))

(element para                   ;a regular paragraph
    (make paragraph
        (process-children)))

(element cpara                  ;a coloured paragraph
    (make box
        display?:           #f
        box-type:           'background
        background-color:   aqua
        (make paragraph
            color:          crimson
            (process-children))))

(element c2para                 ;a coloured paragraph done differently
    (make paragraph
        color:                  crimson
        (make box
            display?:           #f
            box-type:           'background
            background-color:   aqua
            (process-children))))

(default                       ;handle all elements not explicitly handled
    (process-children))

; end of file

T:\ftemp2>jade -f test.err -c p:\jade\jadecurr\catalog -t rtf test.sgm

T:\ftemp2>type test.err

T:\ftemp2>

--
G. Ken Holman         mailto:gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx