Request for help on functional programming!

Subject: Request for help on functional programming!
From: J-P Theberge <yesod@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 11:29:40 -0500 (EST)
Hi,

I agree with theory of functional programming, but when it's time
for me to do actual codes (mostly in scheme), I generally use a lot of
imperative short-cut (all thoses things ending in !)

So I'll appreciate if somebody can give me some hints on how to do
the following (with or without using the -2 extension to jade):

I have to completely redesign a web site (http://www.admtl.com).
I've decided to code all the pages in XML then convert it to HTML
with jade.

My problem is here:
http://www.admtl.com/dorval/yul-sect-3/cies-aeriennes-e.html

I want the xml document to be very simple. something like:

 <airline name="Aeroflot"
       code="SU"
       regphone="(514) 288-2125"/>

 <airline
       name="Air Alliance"
       href="http://www.aircanada.ca/french/ac_world/";
       code="3J"
       regphone="(514) 393-3333"
       tfphone="1-800-361-8620"/>

e.t.c...

And I want the style sheet to handle things like the navigation bar
at the top and the capital letters that mark the sub-section.

My (probably bad) idea was to parse the document without actually
outputing nothing but storing (using set!) all the info in a huge
alist, then create the page and output it.

Do you have better ideas?

Thanks.

(I dont usually wrote that long, so forgive my poor english)

--
JP Theberge
yesod@xxxxxxxxxxx