Re: sgml -> * output file name control

Subject: Re: sgml -> * output file name control
From: Norman Walsh <ndw@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 10:04:38 -0400
/ Adam Di Carlo <adam@xxxxxxxxxxx> was heard to say:
| I'd like to raise the issue of control of the output file naming for
| SGML -> * transformation.  This is mostly targetted for Norm Walsh.

[Adam also sent this message to the sgml-tools list, FYI, here's what
I said there...]

| We took a hard look at Norm's system which he uses for output file
| naming control.  Anyone can take a look at that system, in particular,
| HTML file naming in Norm's docmentation.  Norm uses these variables:
|
|   %html-ext%
|   %use-id-as-filename%
|   %root-filename%

It is also possible to assign a specific name to any component with

  <?dbhtml filename="foo.htm">

in that component.

| However, this scheme did not meet our requirements:
|
| - must enable HTTP content negotiation, i.e., foo.en.html,
| foo.de.html.  This allows us to serve up many different languages in a

How do you author this? Do you have parallel structures in the
same document, or different documents?

Adding support for including the language code in the output
filename would be straightforward.

| - must enable a prefix for resulting HTML files, i.e.,
| foo-chapt1title.html, foo-chapt2title.html

This is already possible, for a fixed prefix, with

 <?dbhtml prefix="foo-">

| Moreover, we always force %use-id-as-filename% on.
|
| On the downside, our scheme is a bit unix centric, notably in the
| documentation(use of basename and dirname) and in the assumption that
| directory separators are '/'.

This is actually not actually a problem, Jade uses (or can use, in any
event), the forward slash even on Windows systems.

| Irregardless, I would be pleased if the people on this list considered
| this scheme and if Norm considers whether to adopt this.

Sure, I can add a %html-prefix% if you'd like and a flag for
adding the current language to the output filename.

                                        Cheers,
                                          norm
--
Norman Walsh <ndw@xxxxxxxxxx>      | "Knowing how things work is the