layout

Subject: layout
From: Joerg Wittenberger <Joerg.Wittenberger@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 18:48:23 +0200 (CEST)
Hello folks,

I feel I need some more help.  As posted yesterday my problem right
now is to get some layout detail right.  I succeeded in hijacking the
title element of books to put my logos in.

Well, I don't find the solution too nice, but I can't find any source
explaining the way to do layout.  What I read from the standard
doesn't really help, at least in the short run.  Is there any source
(users guide os so) where I can start reading?

What I need to do is to put one logo at the left and another one at
the right side at top of a page.  (Later I'll have to put a picture
about 2in above the address which is aligned with the bottom of th
page.  This sounds even more complicated.)

To address my logos at the top-problem I tried the following before
children processing in the title element.

(define (tiptitlepage)
  (make table
    before-row-border: #f
    (make table-column
      (make table-cell
	(make external-graphic
	  entity-system-id: "/home/doc/etc/logo/left.eps"
	  notation-system-id: ""
	  display-alignment: 'left)))
    (make table-column
	  width: 5cm  ; I'll adjust that until it looks right
	  (make table-cell (make paragraph (literal "\no-break-space;"))))
    (make table-column
      (make table-cell
       (make external-graphic
	 entity-system-id: "/home/doc/etc/logo/right.eps"
	 notation-system-id: ""
	 display-alignment: 'right)))))

With the jade/tex this does not produce any output.  That is, I see
the title only.

Another nice try was:

(define (tiptitlepage)
  (make table
    before-row-border: #f
    (make table-row
      (make table-cell
	(make external-graphic
	  entity-system-id: "/home/doc/etc/logo/ibm.eps"
	  ; (entity-generated-system-id "-//IBM//Logo//EN")
	  notation-system-id: ""
	  display-alignment: 'left))
      (make table-cell
	cell-before-row-margin: 5cm
       (make external-graphic
	 entity-system-id: "/home/doc/etc/logo/t.eps"
	 ; (entity-generated-system-id "-//IBM//Telecom Logo//EN")
	 notation-system-id: ""
	 display-alignment: 'right)))))

Which in turn happens to produce both the pictures, but without any
intervening space.  Doesn't look as if I can defend the result against
the critism I expect ;-/

Thanks for any help

/Jerry