Re: HR element

Subject: Re: HR element
From: Norman Walsh <ndw@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 13:41:59 -0400
/ Guillaume Rouchy <rouchyg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> was heard to say:
| Using the docbook DTD and Norman Walsh's Modular Stylesheets for an HTML
| backend, I would like to produce an HR element whenever I want... Is
| there an existing element in the docbook that allow me to easily produce
| one ?

There's nothing designed to do exactly what you want. (Aside: I
can't quite imagine the semantic significance of an HR
interjected randomly in a document, but that's none of my
business, I guess ;-)

I can think of two elements that are good candidates for tag
abuse: anchor and beginpage. Both are empty and allowed almost
anywhere.  With an appropriate ROLE attribute, either could be
coaxed into producing an HR. Beginpage is a little closer,
perhaps to the semantic that you're looking for, but I think
it's going away so perhaps Anchor is a better choice for the
long haul.

                                        Cheers,
                                          norm

--