Re: DSSSL for the Java Virtual Machine (SENG)

Subject: Re: DSSSL for the Java Virtual Machine (SENG)
From: Brandon Ibach <bibach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 12:03:13 -0500
Quoting Daniel Mahler <dmahler@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> If there are no plans develop it,
> it would be nice if SENG could become public.
> It sounded like too good an idea to let die.
> We could have OpenSENG to go with OpenJade.

   I had put that basic idea to him when I last talked to him, but he
said that he couldn't do it at the time.  Perhaps that has changed by
now.  Perhaps someone should contact him again, if he isn't lurking
here.  I have reached him on the phone at Veo in the past, and I'm
sure he has an email address there (which you may even be able to find
on their website).

> Actually I am not familiar with Henry's project.
> Could you give me a pointer?

   The project is called DSC (DSSSL Syntax Checker, I believe), and
was originally just that, a syntax checker for DSSSL code, but was
developing into a sort of implementation framework.  Version 2 was
supposed to include (among other things) the transformation language,
but its future seems to be in question, as it has not materialized
yet.  Henry had said something here about pulling it together over the
new year or so, but I haven't heard any more about it from him.
   There is more information (but not much more) as well as the first
version of the package available for download on his home page, the
address of which I don't have on hand, but I'm positive you can find
by just searching for "Henry Thompson".

-Brandon :)